Re: standby licensing

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Jun 2002 20:20:34 -0700

"Jerzy Kedra" <jxa_at_xxxxxxxxxxx.onet.pl> wrote in message news:<afa2jj$q5k$1_at_news.onet.pl>...
> Hello,
>
> I would like to setup the standby for our primary database. I am not sure
> about extra license needs of standby database. I can't find any information
> about standby licensing on Oracle site. How did you solve this problem?
>
> Jerzy Kedra

The preferred manta is "contact your Oracle Sales Representative".

Any chance that you already have 2 (or more) apps running on dedicated oracle boxes? If they are both licensed on a per CPU basis, then you might not have any licensing issues - provided you have enough free space on each box to house the standby database for the other box. If you're low on ram, move the logs periodically but only bring the standby instance up once a day for recovery.

9i Data Guard has a great deal of new features for standby databases, if you're on Enterprise Edition.

Its funny/pathetic how many times this particular question remains unanswered on the ORACLE-L list and in one user group.

Look into "Named User" for the standby - for standard edition the minimum requirement is only 5 users. For EE the minimum number is larger.

The license info you can find on store.oracle.com.

hth,

Paul Received on Tue Jun 25 2002 - 22:20:34 CDT