Re: standby database questions

From: Sean M <smckeown_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 00:40:26 GMT

tshen wrote:

> hi, guys:
>
> We use oracle 8.1.7, we have built a standby DB on remote host in
> "managed mode", it
> will automaticly apply the primary database's redo log, but I have some
> questions:
>
> 1) The primary db will hang, if the network between primary and standby
> machine has the problem. if this is true how can we overcome this?

Set your log_archive_dest_n parameter to "optional".

> 2) after I alter standby database into "managed" mode,why the SQL prompt
> hanging there forever to wait primary db's redologs come? should I prevent
> this happenning?

This is normal. To avoid it you'll need to execute the sql command ("recover managed standby database") in a shell script that you nohup and run in the background. This is generally a good idea; otherwise if you lose your connection managed recovery will halt.

> 3) how can I do, if I have more than one db_file or log_file names to
> convert?
>
> for example: primary standby
> db file1: /oracle/data/xyz.dbf /oracle/misc/xyz.dbf
> db file2: /export/data/abc.dbf /oraclee/data/abc.dbf

RTFM - search the Oracle 8i Reference manual and the Standby Database Concepts and Administration manual for DB_FILE_NAME_CONVERT and LOG_FILE_NAME_CONVERT. Or, if you happen to use soft links on your production host, you can just use soft links on your standby host to point to the new locations.

Regards,
Sean M Received on Tue Jun 25 2002 - 19:40:26 CDT