Re: cant be run via terminal server?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 00:05:18 +0200

On Thu, 20 Jun 2002 20:56:57 GMT, "Glen A Stromquist" <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Glen A Stromquist" <glen_stromquist_at_nospam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> This is the scenario:
>>
>> I installed 8.1.7 on 2000 advanced server, copied another 8.1.7 database
>> over off of an older machine by cloning (create/start service using
>oradim,
>> recreate controlfile etc...)
>>
>> I now have to migrate an older 7.3.3 db to this machine, used dbassistant
>> create the neccesary scripts to create a db to import into. Set up the new
>> sid in tnsnames.ora, listener.ora, also did the "set ORACLE_SID=[SID]".
>When
>> I try to start svrmgrl or sqllplus to run the create database script I get
>> ORA-12560.
>>
>> What causes server manager to come up with this error? Anything I have
>> looked up suggests creating the service manually (which I did), but I
>can't
>> start server manager up without logging directly into an existing db.
>>
>> suggestions?
>>

>> TIA
>
>After double checking everything, even following another's advice to hack
>the registry and add a line that says "ORACLE_SID = {mysid}", still no
>success.
>
>But one thing I didn't mention was that I was trying to do all this from my
>workstation via terminal server, which I did not think there would be any
>issues with.
>
>It appears that there is, I went to the server itself and logged in to
>server manager with no errors at all, then created my database and am
>waiting for the catalog and catproc scripts to finish.
>
>Still at a loss as to why a connection is not possible thru terminal server,
>although "svrmgrl user/pwd_at_database" does work thru terminal server ok.

Depends on which terminal server we're talking about. There is a known bug in 8.1.7 with Windows Terminal Server, not allowing for ORACLE_SID to be set.
The bug has been resolved in 9i

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Jun 20 2002 - 17:05:18 CDT