Undroppable tablespace

From: MarkF <markRED_at_BLUErubico.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 16:03:20 +0200

Hi all

Oracle 8.1.7 64bit, Solaris 2.8.

Had a power failure last night and Oracle went down ungracefully. It seemed to start all right, but I'm getting ORA-09999 errors logged in both the alert log and smon trace file every 10 seconds. Have since discovered that ORA-09999 means SMON is unable to clean up the temporary segment.
I created a new temporary tablespace (NEWTEMP) and took the old one (TEMP) offline. Made NEWTEMP everyone's temporary tablespace. I then tried to drop TEMP tablespace (6.5GB), but after an hour it still hadn't come back with a result, so I cancelled the drop. A "alter database datafile '/u04/oradata/temp01.dbf' offline drop" says "Database altered", but trying to drop the TEMP tablespace after that still "hangs".

Also, since creating the new temp tablespace, some actions take forever - like expanding the "Storage/Tablespaces" or "Storage/Datafiles" view in DBA Studio; and while the results are being fetched, one CPU (whichever your process is bound to) on the machine runs at 100% usage.

Any ideas ?

--
MarkF
Take out the colours to reply.