Re: ORA-01033

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 19:16:08 +0100

"Terry Wallace" <twallace_at_NoSPAMActic.com> wrote in message news:3d0f6b40$0$3201$724ebb72_at_reader2.ash.ops.us.uu.net...
> Thank you for your help. I'm running Oracle 8i on an NT2000 server. I had
an
> open connection with 9i client over the network when somebody did indeed
> shut down the server without informing me. Would this cause the problem? I
> shut down and opened the database several times before I left it on over
the
> weekend. If I understand your response correctly you are saying that
Oracle
> cannot gracefully close it's sessions. Is this true?
>
> --
> Terry Wallace

can I introduce you to the first answer in the oracle world. it depends.

usually this means on version but this isn't true in this case.

Oracle can shutdown in one of several modes

abort. This is equivalent to a system crash - kills all sessions including system ones and necessitates (automatic) recovery on startup. immediate. refuses new connections and rolls back existing ones. This takes as long to achieve as the longest transaction takes to rollback and so is a graceful but (possibly) longwinded shutdown. normal. waits for all existing sessions (including those abandoned by the user) to either commit or rollback. this could potentially take forever.

I would suggest that you shutdown abort the instance by typing SHUTDOWN ABORT; when connected as sysdba and then restart.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA