ORA-01562

From: Christoph Kukulies <kuku_at_accms33.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Date: 18 Jun 2002 15:32:20 GMT

During an update of a database which is being done by issueing a lot of SQL statements like drop table / create table followed by insert statements the ominuous ORA-01562 error occurs:

ORA-01562 failed to extend rollback segment number xxx

I tried to find something in the online documentation but I didn't find anything pointing me to an immediate cure of the problem.

I read about shrinking (but not increasing) a rollback segment. Also about taking a rollback segment offline. I found an explanation of the error like this:

ORA-01562 failed to extend rollback segment number string

   Cause: Failure occurred when trying to extend rollback segment.

   Action: This is normally followed by another error message that caused the failure. You may take the rollback segment offline to perform maintenance. Use SELECT    SEGMENT_NAME FROM DBA_ROLLBACK_SEGS WHERE SEGMENT_ID=string (where string is the segment number from the message) to determine the rollback    segment name. Then use the ALTER ROLLBACK SEGMENT OFFLINE command to take the rollback segment offline.

All this doesn't bring me any further. I need some help.

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kukulies_at_rwth-aachen.de