Connection never killed

From: Eric Menzel <oracle8_at_firemail.de>
Date: 18 Jun 2002 03:21:20 -0700

Hi,

on my Oracle 8.1.7.3 server (Linux) I have the problem that a remote client connection never gets killed if the client has dropped the connection due to an application crash. I also can't kill the session on the server side. When issueing "alter system kill session..." I get a "System altered" reply but the session is still in v$session and server is set to "pseudo". Do I really have to kill the dedicated server process on OS level? And what shall I do with a shared server connection? The server has both dedicated and shared server connections.
I don't have any timeout parameters set.

listener.ora:

LISTENER =
  (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
    (DESCRIPTION =
(ADDRESS_LIST =

        (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oraserv)(PORT = 1521))
      )

(ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = ICP)(KEY = EXTPROC)) )

    )
  )

SID_LIST_LISTENER =
  (SID_LIST =
    (SID_DESC =
(SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
(ORACLE_HOME = (opt/oracle/product/817)
(PROGRAM = extproc)

    )
    (SID_DESC =
(GLOBAL_DBNAME = ORA8I)
(ORACLE_HOME = (opt/oracle/product/817)
(SID_NAME = ORA8I)

    )
  )

sqlnet.ora:

NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = puke.com
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH = (TNSNAMES) tnsnames.ora:

ORASRV.PUKE.COM =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = oraserv)(PORT = 1521))
    )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
(SERVICE_NAME = ORA8I.puke.com)
(SERVER = DEDICATED)

    )
  )

Some clients have (SERVER = SHARED) in their tnsnames.ora

I am looking forward to any comments,

Eric Received on Tue Jun 18 2002 - 05:21:20 CDT