Failover/backup strategy

From: K <ksanny_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 15 Jun 2002 07:41:35 -0700

Can someone help me with a failover/backup strategy?

I have 2 NT servers sharing a set of disks. A 50G 9i Db runs on one machine in archivelog mode. Each night 80% of the tables are truncated and the contents replaced with a INSERT /*+APPEND*/ from yet another server. I'm looking for a way to A) backup the DB
B) provide a method where I can fail over to another DB running on the other box, if the DB goes down.

One suggestion is to run the DB in standby and archivelog mode during the day. At night replace the contents of the DB and then do a hot backup. Restore the hot backup to the other server and re-create the standby each night and apply the redo logs from the primary to the secondary during the day.

Sounds like a lot of creating/recreating... Anyone have a better suggestion?? Received on Sat Jun 15 2002 - 09:41:35 CDT