Re: SOAP / XML / ORACLE

From: NetComrade <andreyNSPAM_at_bookexchange.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 18:39:24 GMT

There was an interesting article in webtechniques magazine (now called web architect) about SOAP+XML vs CORBA.

Basicly, as I suspected, it says that XML is crap if you want to do something serious, that requires a lot of data exchange (too much overhead on all those descriptions per row). It was also talking about how SOAP isn't mature enough (compared to CORBA), but I don't know that much about it.

Anyway, XML is still good for some things, but it has its limitations..

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 21:56:13 +0100, "Jeremy Ovenden" <newsposter_at_hazelweb.co.uk> wrote:

>"Connor McDonald" <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Jeremy Ovenden wrote:
>> >

>> > A prospective project would involve exchanging data with a
>3rd
>> > party system. The API definitions doc for this system talks
>of
>> > SOAP, Web Services Definition Language and XML.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Jeremy Ovenden
>>
>> There is a good book, a little date (its 8i) called 'Oracle 8i
>> Application Programming", by about 20 authors.
>>

>OK just checked this out at amazon.co.uk - 3-5 weeks for
>delivery!!
>
>Any on-line resources you know of which might serve as an
>introduction?
>
>Core thing for me is, I need to be able to identify very quickly
>whether it is feasible to do this kind of interaction between my
>app and the 3rd party app and what the prerequisite s/w on the
>oracle side would be....
>
>thanks again.
>
>--
>jeremy ovenden

We use Oracle 8.1.7.3 on Solaris 2.7 boxes remove NSPAM to email Received on Fri Jun 14 2002 - 13:39:24 CDT