Re: Got the darn buffer busy waits under control, at last!

From: Ricky Sanchez <rsanchez_at_more.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 02:05:20 GMT

Since _spin_count affects all latches equally, and of course latch usage is not at all "equal" throughout the instance, the risk of users messing with this parameter is serious as both you and Nuno have pointed out. I sure hope other readers don't get that "I feel lucky" thing now.

And certainly things change dramatically with 8i. The buffer cache looks quite different with respect to the hash table and latches. And of course, newer and more interesting bugs come with it. :-)

I would be curious to see how the instance was affected otherwise. Was latch_free a major wait event prior to the parameter adjustment? Has overall latch_free wait time actually gone down as a result? What about sleeps for other latches? Did we trade cache buffers chains latch performance for library cache latch?

It would be useful to see before and after statspack reports rather than have to rely on anecdotal evidence. Nuno- you have statspack running on that thing? Post a zipped 30 minute busy period snap if you have one.