Re: Oracle 7.1.6 and SunOS 2.5.1 and greater

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 19:06:57 +0200

On Thu, 13 Jun 2002 23:42:02 +0800, "Hemant K Chitale" <hkchital_nospam_at_singnet_nospam.com.sg> wrote:

>Here we go again, Sybrand.
>You run nothing but 9iRelease2 on the latest
>OS version with the highest patchset level.
>
>There *ARE* people in the *REAL* world who
>are running critical databases on 7.3.x [and why not 7.1.6]
>and are happy with it. How frequently do you
>change your car ? How frequently do you change
>your house ?
>
>Hemant

Your hostile and arrogant tone asks for a similar answer. You don't seem to be aware with the issues of running desupported software when the customer didn't make *any* extra precaution (like getting an EAS or ECS).
Are you aware what it means to run desupported software? We have a customer running 8.1.5 and using RMAN. RMAN quite often ends in ora-600 [504], which means we have NO BACKUP! How often do you make sure your backup works? What do you say to your customer when the database has crashed, and there hasn't been a backup for days?
Do go on driving a T-Ford when your garage indicates they don't have any spare parts?
Come on. Don't try to be smart! Running desupported software is living on a volcano, being incapable to evacuate and come back when the volcano really strikes.
I think it is unprofessional to recommend doing that to anyone.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Jun 13 2002 - 12:06:57 CDT