Re: Oracle/Veritas File System

From: Knut Talman <knut.talman_at_mytoys.de>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 20:34:05 +0200

> Could you provide more detail, if not in the group to my e-mail
> address.
> We have an customer on Solaris 2.6 that is using the Basic Edition of
> Veritas that comes with Solaris and the customer needs to be convinced
> he should buy the Advanced Edition. Using raw devices is not really an
> option: the database(s) grow tremendously fast due to lack of
> procedures to archive historic data (this is a 3rd party app, and we
> can not address that issue).

Your customer won't regret the decision (at least we didn't...) To give more details:

We measured OS operations like copying a large file, copying multiple smaller files, removing files and database operations like insert, update, delete.

What we determined was a significant advantage of VFS vs. UFS (of course). Also database operations where faster but when we used QIO it gave our database test another boost of about 50-75%. I can not certify Veritas' performance test where they had a performance enhancement of 300-400%. I'll send you their document by mail.

The intention of our tests were huge problems w/ I/O wait. During load peaks we had I/O waits of up to 90%. After some tuning (75% I/O wait) we bought new hardware (SAN) which reduced I/O wait to 20%. With QIO we have a max I/O wait of 10%.

Regards,

Knut Received on Wed Jun 12 2002 - 13:34:05 CDT