autoextend size vs. extent size in LMT

From: Ed Stevens <spamdump_at_nospam.noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 14:53:07 GMT

Platform Win2k, Ora 8.1.7

I have read the DOCS and done a search of the group archives and did not find a definitive answer to this. Doesn't mean it's not there, but if it is I overlooked it . . .

ASSUMING one is going to use AUTOEXTEND, what are the mechanics of extending, vis a vis the extent size defined for a uniform extent LMT? For instance, given this TS definition:

CREATE TABLESPACE mydata

    DATAFILE 'E:\ORADATA\orcl\orcl_mydata_01.DBF'     SIZE 14368K
    AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 4K MAXSIZE UNLIMITED     EXTENT MANAGEMENT LOCAL UNIFORM SIZE 32K     LOGGING
    ONLINE If the file is full when another table extent is needed, will he get the necessary 32k (as specified for the TABLESPACE) in one operation, or will go by the 4k specified for the FILE and repeat as necessary until he has enough space to satisfy the 32k?

Whatever the answer, is there a way to demonstrate and verify?

And what other suggestions would you have if one were committed to using AUTOEXTEND in a production environment?

--
Ed Stevens
(Opinions expressed do not necessarily represent those of my employer.)