Re: status quo of a oracle installation

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:15:30 GMT

fabienne hadkova wrote:

> Hello
> I don't know if this is the right newsgroup to post to so sorry if it's
> wrong.
> I must go to a company next week and I have 4 hours to find out all I can
> about the installation and environment of an oracle server. The company I
> work for should provide support and we need to know how everything is set
> up.
> I will have the system and sys password and collect all informations I want.
> Sofar, I can think about checking the init<SID>ora, make a few queries on
> the dba-tables, see how many instances are running, search for any kind of
> automated scripts, procedures.
> I don't know the version yet (it might be 7) running on a nt-server.
> I am a (very) beginning dba with (very) little practical experience. Since I
> work only on Linux and AIX machines, I don't know if there is something
> special I should consider because it is set up on NT.Could anybody help me
> and point me to anything that I should be checking when I go there?
> Thanks
> Fabienne

I am in a position similar to Sybrand but here's some hints.

Don't waste a second copying anything to paper. Just spool/query/email.

  1. Email yourself copies of initSID.ora, tnsnames.ora, listener.ora, sqlnet.ora, and any other of the dot ora files you might need.
  2. Look at the alert logs and trace files within the last 3 months and grep for any ORA- error messsages. If there are problems email those to yourself too unless they are too large in which case create an extract and email that to yourself.
  3. spool off files based on queries that will give you information on datafiles, tempfiles, tablespaces, users, roles, profiles, rollback segments, freespace, etc. that you can review at your own offices. Email them too.
  4. Same goes for v$ tables related to waits and memory usage. Spool it off and email it to yourself.
  5. Be sure to run the following SQL

   SELECT object_name, object_type
   FROM dba_objects
   WHERE status = 'INVALID';

6. Depending on the hardware, run TOP, or whatever and get a hardware profile.

   I don't even want to think of how many times this query has said "Ka-Ching" back to me.

I hope this helps get you started.

Daniel Morgan Received on Tue Jun 11 2002 - 17:15:30 CDT