Re: The demise of the Oracle professional?

From: ronald <ronald_at_foo.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 16:25:05 +0200

"Nuno Souto" <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>

> > Speaking of middleware, J2EE is as horizontal, and
> > as general, as it gets. Would you care to elaborate
> > why it isn't "horizontal"?
>
> Explain first your claim that J2EE is as horizontal and as general as it
> gets.

Because J2EE can be deployed everywhere where you need scalability.

2-tier (client-server) is not enough anymore, you know. How can you achive load balancing with client-server architecture? How can you achieve dynamic redeployment (software upgrades while the system is running)? Fail-over? Clustering? Message-oriented architecture?

> As for why it isn't horizontal? Because it adresses well one lone
> and single, vertical architecture: the shopping cart.

Oomph...

J2EE already has successfull applications in the following areas: banking (big here in Frankurt!), stock trading, procurement (SAP), customer support (Dell), insurance...

Looks like a pretty successfull technology to me. Received on Tue Jun 11 2002 - 09:25:05 CDT