Re: The demise of the Oracle professional?

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_dial.pipex.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:08:52 +0100

"Vladimir M. Zakharychev" <bob_at_dpsp-yes.com> wrote in message news:ae2m9h$sv3$1_at_babylon.agtel.net...
> But I see no evil in
> having another option to write portable code that does what I need it to.
Without
> Java inside Oracle I would be unable to have one portable solution to send
out
> email, for example, or to manipulate binary files on OS level (with proper
security
> in place), or communicate over the network with HTTP or FTP servers, or do
> regexp, and a lot of other things - or I would have to write that in C and
then
> port to every OS out there that Oracle supports. Now I can write it once,
and
> it will run everywhere exactly the same. Just like PL/SQL. Java does not
replace
> PL/SQL (and never will), it extends it and gives me, the developer, more
freedom
> to do things I want, and it does not tax me with portability issues. I am
> database-centric and tend to put as much work as I can into the database,
close
> to the data. I don't want to implement the same business rule in a dozen
different
> clients on different platforms and then keep it in sync - I tend to do it
once and
> make available via any means possible, be it thin or thick client, web
browser, etc.
> I code it once, and it works for all. I'm not using Java to do what I can
do in
> PL/SQL or SQL - Java is not suited for that. I use Java to do what I can't
in
> SQL and PL/SQL. That's the only reasonable use for Java inside Oracle I
see - but
> it well justifies its existence.

perhaps Tom's mantra needs extending

If you can do it in sql do

if you can't do it in sql do it in pl/sql
if you can't do it in pl/sql do it in Java
if you can't do it in java do it in an external procedure
if you can't do it in an external procedure we're in app server territory
and we're all dead. (oops sorry do it in 9iAS).
--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA