[8i] Local unique indexes on a partitionned table - Is it possible ?

From: Frederic Payant <fpayant_at_club-internet.fr>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 22:15:16 +0200

Hi,

I'm working on partitioned tables which are purged by droping and recreating partitions.
Because we are in an OLTP environment I don't want to have to rebuild periodically my indexes.
But, it seems impossible to create a UNIQUE and LOCAL index unless it contains the key of partitioning.
Part of my indexes are unique and don't contain this field. Is there a way to have them local and unique anyway or may I have to abandon the possibility of testing uniqueness with the index ?

If unique local index (or any work around) is impossible, what do you think about a trigger for checking uniqueness ? Will it be costy ? I'm in an OLTP environment where performance is an issue and with thousands of transactions by second.

Environment is Oracle 817 (probably OEM), with Solaris 8

Any advice will be helpfull (and welcome)

Regards
Frederic PAYANT - junior DBA ;-) Received on Mon Jun 10 2002 - 15:15:16 CDT