Re: Sun Solaris Close - cannot turn archive log on

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2002 13:39:03 +1000

I expect you are using the log_archive_dest_1, log_archive_dest_2 etc parameters. Yet these are specifically only for the Enterprise Edition of the database, and it would appear from your ORA-00439 error that you only have the Standard Edition of the database installed.

Try using log_archive_dest and log_archive_min_succeed_dest instead: those parameters (without the numbers at the end of them) work for both Enterprise *and* Standard editions.

There is also a fair amount of confusion apparent from what you have written. Putting a database into archivelog mode is one thing (and is done with an alter database command in the MOUNT state, after database creation, and after a clean shutdown). Switching on the automatic archiving of redo (by switch on ARCH) is quite another operation altogether, and is done by setting init.ora parameters (as I've described above) or by the issuing of 'alter system' commands.

The former (use of 'alter database' commands) is permanent, however many database startups and shutdowns you then go through -because it sets a bit in the Control File. The latter (use of 'alter system' commands) is temporary, because whatever it is that you have set is set only for the lifetime of the current instance: nothing is written permanently to a physical database file.

Therefore, a phrase such as "With the next start of the instance the archive log mode is turned off again." doesn't ring true: you might well mean that ARCH is turned off again, but that should not mean that your database is out of archivelog mode. Check which is which with an 'archive log list' command in SQL Plus.

Anyway: once you've sorted out the distinction between archivelog mode and automatic archiving in your head, make sure you use the archiving init.ora parameters that work for the Edition of the database you've installed.

Regards