Re: Why this error after reboot?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 09:10:03 +1000

"Anastasios Kotsikonas" <tasos_at_csa.bu.edu> wrote in message news:adr9cs$1ni$1_at_news3.bu.edu...

> Please ignore my ignorance here... I installed 8i on Win2k
> and everything is fine... after a reboot I get:
>
> ERROR:
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist

I take it that what you actually mean is that after you reboot your machine, you fire up SQL Plus, and attempt to connect to the database?

The error message usually indicates that the Service that is needed on Windows to create the Oracle Instance has not been started. Go to the Control Panel, find the service that relates to your database and click 'Start'. While you're there, make sure that the service is set to 'automatic' rather than 'manual'.

> However, if I invoke the Database Configuration Assistant and select
> my database and just hit Next it starts Oracle and mounts my database.
> Any clues?

Check the control panel for the startup status of the relevant service.

> Also, I read on OTN that running the assistant as Administrator
> should create LISTENER.ORA and TNSNAMES.ORA but it doesn't...
> What am I missing?

The Database Configuration Assistant creates these files when run as part of initial installation, I seem to remember. But if you run it after installation, it doesn't. That's because after installation you are supposed to use the Network Configuration Assistant to do the deed instead.

Regards
HJR