Re: Oracle data file format

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 7 Jun 2002 04:01:50 -0700

Mark Malakanov <markmal_no_spam_at_rogers.com> wrote in message news:<3D007251.9050005_at_rogers.com>...
> You can easily reformat them by issuing command:
>
> CMD>ren filename.ora filename.dbf
> and
> SQL>alter database rename file 'FILENAME.ORA' to 'FILENAME.DBF';
>
> You can choose any extention you like!
>
> There is so many unixes. Probably it is possible to put window's
> datafiles files into INTEL Linux, and may be it will even work,

No, you definitely can't transfer files between platforms, even if they're using the same CPUs. Internal structure of datafiles is different on different platforms, you will not be able to mount database.
Seems to me like Mr. Lau is the victim of Gates' syndrom, which symptoms is fifed idea that extension of file has something common with contents. :-)
I think that he should use as extension .HLD - Henry Laus' datafiles.

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.