Re: oracle 9i connection string with SYS account

From: Hemant K Chitale <hkchital_nospam_at_singnet_nospam.com.sg>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 23:35:17 +0800

I agree. At sites where there were only 2 to 5 databases, I might craete my own account and grant it DBA. With more than 50 databases it's much easier to login to the server as "oracle" and then connect / as sysdba. Creating a DBA account in 50 databases and then maintaining the password [yes, I could have the same password in 50 databases ....] is also a difficult thing.

But where I want to do remote admin [connect over SQLNet] I would still need an account with DBA privileges. So, some databases, I create my own account.

End result ? I use "SYS" and "HEMANT" more frequently and rarely use "SYSTEM" [I just change the SYS and SYSTEM passwords and forget about them].

Hemant K Chitale
http://hkchital.tripod.com
"Sean M" <smckeown_at_earthlink.net> wrote in message news:3CFED904.66C0D1C5_at_earthlink.net...
> Pete Sharman wrote:
> >
> > In article <adkqbl$eet$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz>, "Howard says...
> > >
> > >I suspect this one will run and run.
> > >
> > snip good advice
> > >
> > >But Sybrand's point should be heeded: the SYS account is unique, and if
all
> > >you need to do is create tablespaces and Users, then you don't need it.
All
> > >routine administration should be done as SYSTEM (default password =
> > >'manager').
> > >

> > You know, I think this is one time I'd have to disagree with you Howard.
SYSTEM