Incomplete datafile after restore from tape backup

From: Bill Hutchison <billh_at_gci.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 23:33:35 GMT

I have a datafile that was not completely backed up due to a read error on our hard drive. The read error was beyond the area in the datafile which was used, so I wasn't overly concerned at the time. We finally had further problems with the drive and had to replace it. A recent tape backup was used to restore the bad drive (#4 of 5), but the file with the read error was incomplete on restore, about 15MB of defined size of 50MB.

I want to recreate the datafile and restore from an export, but I can't get the database to open since the short file causes a read error when Oracle (7.1) is trying to startup the database.

How can I get rid of the short version of the file, recreate the file in full size either before or after I get the database to open, and then do a full import from our most recent export?

Many thanks for any help!
Bill Hutchison Received on Tue Jun 04 2002 - 18:33:35 CDT