Re: Resizing of Data Files - How Long SHOULD It Take?

From: William Rice <ricew_at_operamail.com>
Date: 30 May 2002 06:09:20 -0700

Richard.Sgrignoli_at_highmark.com (Richard E Sgrignoli) wrote in message news:<9a3c69df.0205291203.5ef836ef_at_posting.google.com>...
> One thing I just noticed about this system which differs with the
> other domains is the fact that the system in question (deemed slow by
> Oracle during resizes) has some VERY HUGE filesystems. Whereas most
> the Oracle filesystems on the domains are in the 14Gb to 28Gb (per
> LUN) range, we show the "slow" domain having LUNs of 73Gb EACH. These
> are CONCATENATED vice STRIPED.
>
> With this being said, could it be that the huge difference in LUN
> sizes (73Gb as opposed to 28Gb) will affect the timeliness of the
> resize increases?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Richard

<SNIP>

Just a guess, but could it be that many deletes, adds, and resizes of darafiles have been done on this filesystem, and the file system is so fragmented that it takes the O/S awhile to link together all of the space you are using.

Have you tried creating a file with mkfile on this filesystem, just to see timings?(As was suggested by someone earlier in this thread?

This is just a WAG, but figured I would throw it out there.

Hope this helps,
Will Received on Thu May 30 2002 - 08:09:20 CDT