Re: Performance question

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 09:38:38 +1000

The format of a row is: row header, column length - value; column length - value; column length - value; and so ad infinitum (nearly).

The length of a field is stored as an attribute within the row. If it was Name Char(10) it would be stored as :10:Smith-----: If it was Name varchar2(10) it would be stored as :5:Smith:

Regards