Re: Recover Tablespace with IMPORT and get ORA-01658

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 22:40:22 +0200

On Mon, 27 May 2002 19:33:49 GMT, Ralf Bender <ralf.bender_at_nexgo.de> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>my Database (8i) runs with a lot of Tablespaces. Now, I must recreate one
>of them on a second machine. I want to use IMPORT to recreate it on
>another the machine. But now, I got ORA-01658 unable to create INITIAL
>extent for segment in tablespace. What's going wrong here? How can I
>solve this problem?
>
>I thought that the INITIAL Parameter in the Export File was very large...
>
>bye
>Ralf

1658 means there is no *contiguous* extent free as large as or larger than the initial of your segment.
You must have run the export with compress=y (the default), which calculates a new initial extent as the sum of all existing extents for that segment in the source database. Usually this strategy results in the problem you describe above.
You can solve this problem by enlarging the tablespace, or precreating the affected segment with a smaller initial extent that does fit. The ultimate solution however would be re-exporting with compress=n.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Mon May 27 2002 - 15:40:22 CDT