Re: Learn Oracle?

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 27 May 2002 00:48:19 -0700

"Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:<acrgnf$2cb$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz>...
> Sorry. I thought you said you wanted to learn Oracle. Fat chance of doing
> that on a Win9x platform. Dump 98, and load XP or 2000. Then you can learn
> the Enterprise Edition properly. You are crippling yourself before you even
> start if you insist on sticking with 98.

Has been Oracle 9i already certified on WIN XP ? I thought that WIN2000 is the only Windows for Oracle EE.

> Any reasonably capable PC, with 300MHz or faster processor and stacks upon
> stacks of RAM.

In fact, Oracle 9i 9.0.1 (first release) works with no problem on PC only equipped with 256MB RAM. No big performance, but for learning very sufficient.
I still do not have new 9i second release, so I do not know if some "memory optimalisation" was used and 512MB is a minimum.

> I just downloaded Oracle 9i release 2, all 1.6Gb (or so) of it, and on a 56K
> dialup modem, with GetRight download software to cope when the line got
> dropped. It was painful. I wouldn't recommend it. It took about 4 days, 24
> hours a day.

You should get a medal for patience. Three ISO images on dialup is a great achievement. Looks like you have been teacher for so long time, that your patience developed to really high level. :-)) However looks strange when Oracle guy must use a dialup to get Oracle software. I'm using 128kbs line for downloading Oracle releases and it still takes a lot of time to get three ISOs.

> No, they are fully working versions. The only restriction is the licence:
> thou shalt not use them to develop commercial software which earns you a
> packet, without sharing some of it back with Oracle first.

I'm not sure of this. I've read a licence few times and it seems to me like developing software is free and you must buy software just to move to production.

> Maybe you should become a consultant instead?

Heh, that was so Sybrandish. :-)))))

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader

Note: pagesflames_at_usa.net has been cancelled due to changes (maybe we
can call it an overture to bankruptcy) on that server. I'm still using
this email to prevent SPAM. Maybe one day I will change it and have a
proper mail even for news, but right now I can be reached by this
email.