Initial segment badly initialized

From: Frederic Payant <fpayant_at_club-internet.fr>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 22:18:25 +0200

Hi
My database was designed for all tables using default storage clause of tablespace.
But after all the DB installed I've discovered that the values of INITIAL and NEXT was false for some of my tablespaces. In general, my segments are created at the tenth of what they should be ( ie 20M instead of 200M).
My questions are :

  1. Is that really a problem, I mean : will my Database be slower because of fragmentation (I computed the default size so that I planned to have between 50 and 500 segments for a table or a partition; with that mistake I'll have between 500 and 5000 segment per table/partition) ?
  2. I know that the second point is not evident, but is it possible to estimate the loss in performances due to fragmentation ? 0, 1%, 10% 50% ?
  3. How can I correct the error without droping and recreating tables ?

I first thought to altering storage values in tablespace. It surely won't make anythin to segments allready created, but will the new ones be created with new values (I mean next extents) or will they use the default values used when I created the table ? I've a lot of partitions which are drop and recreate regularly (every day I drop an old partition per table and I recreate another). Will my partitions be created with tablespace new values or old values ?

I thank all of you for your advices ( or pointers to doc issues or Web pages ). Don't hesitate to ask me any further information

My server is SUN Solaris 8
Oracle 8.1.7
Databases (they are 2) are 350 GB each

Regards
Frederic PAYANT - junior DBA ;-) Received on Fri May 24 2002 - 15:18:25 CDT