Import utility limitation

From: Rudy Susanto <rsusanto_at_atlas-sp.com>
Date: 23 May 2002 20:11:23 -0700

Hi all,

Are there any limitations on import utility? I can use this tool to import new records into the tables but i can't replace the existing records from the exported file. Can we use this utility to restore the data?

Here the example for the details:

SQL> conn scott/tiger
Connected.
SQL> select empno, ename from emp;

     EMPNO ENAME
---------- ----------

      7369 SMITH
      7499 ALLEN
      7521 WARD
      7566 JONES
      7654 MARTIN
      7698 BLAKE
      7782 CLARK
      7788 SCOTT
      7839 KING
      7844 TURNER
      7876 ADAMS
      7900 JAMES
      7902 FORD
      7934 MILLER

14 rows selected.

And then i export the tables,
D:\Oracle\Ora81\BIN>exp scott/tiger file=c:\scott.dmp Done successfully...

After that i update the record on table emp, SQL>update emp set ename='JACK' where empno=7900; 1 row updated.
SQL> commit;
Commit complete.

From DOS-prompt, i import from the exported file, D:\Oracle\Ora81\BIN>imp scott/tiger file=c:\scott.dmp tables=emp ignore=y

And then i check the result, but still the same. SQL> select empno, ename from emp;

     EMPNO ENAME
---------- ----------

      7369 SMITH
      7499 ALLEN
      7521 WARD
      7566 JONES
      7654 MARTIN
      7698 BLAKE
      7782 CLARK
      7788 SCOTT
      7839 KING
      7844 TURNER
      7876 ADAMS
      7900 JACK
      7902 FORD
      7934 MILLER

14 rows selected.

Should i delete all records on the table before importing data? Is there any better ways to do this job? I know a little about rman but i still don't know how to use it.

Thanks in advance,

Rudy Susanto Received on Thu May 23 2002 - 22:11:23 CDT