Re: Run 2 versions of Oracle (8i and 9i) on the same server

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 18:12:33 +0200

"Stef" <stephane.moinard@_NOSPAM_smind.com> wrote in message news:3cecaea2$0$225$626a54ce_at_news.free.fr...
> Hello,
>
> In order to perform tests on Linux boxes (RH 7.2), I installed Oracle
8.1.7.
> Running fine.
> I'd like to know if it's possible to run Oracle 9i on the same server, at
> the same time (two different SID of course).
>
> Are there steps to follow to avoid problems ? In particular, I don't
> understand how the two servers can make the difference of what version to
> use with the instances in the /etc/oratab.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Stef.

Install them using OFA in a different Oracle_HOME directory. /etc/oratab has the home directory per SID. If you are using oraenv to set your env vars (which you should do instead of hardcoding them) $ORACLE_HOME and all related env vars will point to the correct directories, as oraenv reads the oratab.
Evidently, this is documented in the installation manual.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA