Re: Newbie's Oracle 9i impression: it sucks

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 20 May 2002 20:36:04 -0500

On 20 May 2002, sqljoe_at_aol.com wrote:

> One more point, there are many of you Oracle folks who like to bash MS
> SQL, and as a MS SQL DBA, I do NOT go ballistic when people bash MS
> SQL in this room. You guys need to keep an open mind. Perhaps many of
> you should learn MS SQL since it is CLEARLY taking over marketshare
> from Oracle in W2K environment.

Hows it doing in the UNIX enviroment?

> Furthermore, after Windows.net 64bit OS and Intel's Itanium II comes
> out, I believe MS SQL will chip away Oracle's marketshare as a high
> end RDBMS.

When there already is a tried and true solution called Oracle:

    Why should customers wait for a new high-end solution?

    Why should a customer buy a new product that will likely have large     amounts of bugs (first iterations always do)?

    Why is it that MS is only now coming out with this?

I ask because this argument sounds alot like the American car-makers. They keep promising that their product is really good "NOW" hoping to reel you in, but the japs already have a tried and true product. Why should any customer even care about MS in the database field? Only now is MS starting to have a product that resembles Oracle. But, wait a minute. There is another product which resembles Oracle as well, called Oracle.

--
Galen deForest Boyer