Re: http://www.hjrdba.com/

From: Marc Blum <marc_at_marcblum.de>
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 15:50:24 GMT

On Mon, 20 May 2002 17:31:15 +0200, Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:

<snip>

>The fourth note of the Lydian mode always has to be flattened, because
>otherwise it forms a tritone, the 'diabolus in musica' (the devil in
>music), a very awkward sounding interval.
>Hence the Lydian mode has no real use, the Mixolydian scale on G was
>the one that was replacing it.

<offtopic>
hmm...mixolydian (or fifth mode) to me is just a filled up G7, wherein the specific tense is created by the tritonus between the third and the seven. Have no clue, how to survive without it, everything would end up in the endless seas of modality.
</offtopic>

regards
Marc Blum
mailto:marc_at_marcblum.de