Re: Oracle Myths- Tablespace placement answered by Oracle

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2002 00:48:04 +1000

In article <ac5no802ohh_at_drn.newsguy.com>, you said (and I quote):

> >call me a dreamer, but if you put tables and indexes in same tablespace
> >and spread that tablespace over a number of devices you get EXACTLY the
> >same result as above.
>
> you might even find you get BETTER ;)
>
> the goal -- even IO distribution.
>
> puttting indexes on disk1 and data on disk2 -- you may well find your index
> (much more cacheable in general then the data) results in very very little
> physical IO to disk 1. Disk 2 on the other hand it getting beat up.
>
> stripe disk1 and disk2 and you'll get even io in this simple case.

Exactly! Thanks for explaining it much better than I can. That is usually the problem that surfaces next when people do the "table/index shuffle". Much better to just stripe the darn thing to start with. Even distribution of I/O is the name of the game, not the logical partitioning of the same.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto