Re: Oracle Myths

From: Pete Sharman <peter.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: 18 May 2002 07:08:25 -0700

In article <%6qF8.83117$Ze.12985_at_afrodite.telenet-ops.be>, "koert54" says...

>- System does not have hard coded block locations ...
>- sql.bsq does not contain any unusual create table statements - there are
>however a lot of tables that
>take part in clustered tables
>- dul can extract the data from the system tablespace based on object ID -
>which is part of the block header - for example
>obj$ is always objectid 18 in Oracle 8.0 & 8.1, tab$ is the first table in
>clustertable with id 2, etc
>- there's nothing magic about dul unload data coming from datafiles from
>another platform, if you know the platform's
>characteristics (little/big endian) and the Oracle specifics on that
>platform (structure of dba etc)
>
>https://sourceforge.net/projects/jdul/

And just a reminder to make things 100% clear - DUL is a tool that MUST be used by Oracle only. It's completely unsupported outside this environment. It's a tool that was written to get as much information as we could from a corrupt database in much the same way as OS vendors have tools to try to recover corrupt disks. When an Oracle person uses DUL, you are almost certain to still end up with a logically corrupt database i.e. not all transactions can be recovered. You will need to manually re-enter data, but at least you'll have SOME of your corrupted database recovered.

Once again, DO NOT use DUL without Oracle Support doing it for you.

>"Jim Kennedy" <kennedy-family_at_attbi.com> wrote in message
>> The system tablespace has some special characteristics. For example,
>there
>> are a bunch of segments that start at explicit hard coded block locations.
>> Why do I believe that to be true? If you look in sql.bsq you will see some
>> unusual create table statements. They have some undocumented parameters.
>> (which I suggest NO ONE use) Also when we had an Oracle consultant come
>out
>> to use the DUL (Data Unloader Tool - and I was involved in the aftermath
>of
>> this database reconstruction, not one I knew about until someone from
>> another department asked me to recover their unbacked up, nonarchivelog
>mode
>> database) on a database of ours. It can read the actual data files with
>out
>> the Oracle binaries right from the raw files. It does not even have to
>run
>> on the same OS that the files were created on. (eg Oracle NT data files
>can
>> be DUL extracted on a Sun box without Oracle present) It needs some
>> configuration files to tell it which file is the system tablespace and the
>> other database files, but it reads the schema etc right out of the system
>> datafile. So I suspect that the system tablespace has not been changed
>due
>> to this and other reasons.
>>
>> I could be wrong.
>>
>> Jim
>> "Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message

>> message news:<3ce21b71$0$8510$ed9e5944_at_reading.news.pipex.net>...
>notes
>> though

>of
>> "not a
>> non-issue.
>> point I'm
> in
>> this
>zero.")
>> may
>> of like
>> ham
>employer.)
>> >
>> > My best guess would be that it was valid back before 8i and before LMT.
>> >
>> > Then I always created my tablespaces with PCTINCREASE 1 and my tables
>with
>> PCTINCREASE 0.
>> >
>> > But why oh why oh why does Oracle, itself, continue to create the system
>> tablespace with the defaults it does? Is it due to optimization
>> > or just a reluctance to change it?
>> >
>> > Daniel Morgan

HTH. Additions and corrections welcome.

Pete

SELECT standard_disclaimer, witty_remark FROM company_requirements; Received on Sat May 18 2002 - 09:08:25 CDT