Re: Recover of a database

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 16:37:46 +1000

Don't bother. There isn't a source of information about cold backups within the database in existence. Log sequence numbers do not suddenly start jumping around the place just because you start up or shut down.

The best you can do would be to query v$instance and see the last startup time of your instance... assuming that the only time your instance restarts is because you're starting up again from a cold backup.

Regards

> > I agree, Oracle does not know it happened.
> >
> > You could check however the alert<SID>.log of the database.
> > When you keep it for a longer time (I prefer to keep them at least 6
months,
> > ofcourse switch it once a month or so) and it is not restored (why would
> > you) you must see that in the startup messages it suddenly reports a
lower
> > redo log sequence number than before. Looking at the reported sequence
> > numbers at log switches helps too.
> > This can also occur after an "open resetlogs" but that can easily be
> > identified because this command is logged in the alert.log as well and
then
> > it starts with sequence 1 again.
> >
> > Tom Dyess <nospam_at_nospam.spm> schreef in berichtnieuws
> > ac10dc$jc0$1_at_news.gate.net...
> > | Not that I know of - a cold resore is really done at the OS level when
> > | Oracle is shut down, so it really doesn't even know that it happened.
You