Re: Help: A difficult request

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 14:30:20 GMT

in article l.1021643917.1728973388@[64.94.198.252], Joe Bayer at u705413818_at_spawnkill.ip-mobilphone.net wrote on 5/17/02 6:58 AM:

> Thanks for all the replies.
>
> What we want is like this:
>
> We want a table which will hold all the username and password for the
> user of the database, we want to have the right of changing the
> password of each user on dba side. Every time we change the password,
> the user has to select the table to get the new password.
>
> So, if user has the username, how can we make sure he can only get the
> password of his own, not the others.(The username is very difficult to
> guess). This is a security issue.
>
> Thanks again for all the helps.

Use VPD (virtual private database) and create a security policy that only allows a user to select rows that match his/her's username. Attach the users 'username' to the users session context on logon or something similar.

Or just build a dynamic view that selects based on username. Received on Fri May 17 2002 - 09:30:20 CDT