Re: Index organized table

From: Andrew Mobbs <andrewm_at_chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: 15 May 2002 16:41:21 +0100 (BST)

Epicentre Team B Annecy <carmanet_at_epicentre.fr> wrote:
>Hi Ive,
>
>No, this table is definitively not a good candidate for INDEX ORGANIZED
>TABLE!
>Indeed, indexes severely degrade insert performances, so I let you see with
>an index organized table...

No. It depends on the access pattern, not the insert activity.

An IOT that's heavily inserted into will be more costly than a normal table; but if it's frequently accessed by primary key, with several "nearby" values being pulled out together, then overall IO may still be reduced.

The "sequential number column" as the PK does look suspiciously like that this might not be the case.

--
Andrew Mobbs - http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~andrewm/