Re: lies damn lies and benchmarks

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_attbi.com>
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 03:47:49 GMT

in article YOzC8.717$eR3.46772_at_news.uswest.net, Pablo Sanchez at pablo_at_dev.null wrote on 5/9/02 12:08 PM:

> For example, given a table with 1,000,000 rows, would it be better to
> issue a million row level locks or one table lock?

It depends - what does it cost me to take out 1 million row locks ? If it's not much, then I'd rather do that than risk the deadlocks due to escalation.

And if a different DB implementation only needed to take out 1/3 of these locks, because it only issues write locks, then I'd really have to start thinking that escalating to table level locks where a Bad Thing (TM). Received on Thu May 09 2002 - 22:47:49 CDT