Re: lies damn lies and benchmarks

From: Daniel Morgan <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 18:29:17 GMT

Pablo Sanchez wrote:

> snipped for brevity>
> > I am talking about the Microsoft employees in Redmond WA not the
> Sybase
> > team.
>

> Let me try a different tact: what pieces of SQL Server do you believe
> these employees develop? Let me know also if you believe that the
> core team of Oracle kernel developers are still there who developed,
> let's say, read consistency.

I can not reveal information I received after signing a non-disclosure with respect to what they did at Microsoft. But the team was also involved in the development of Jet if that help you.

> I believe you're wrong on both these points. Clearly the TPC-C's show
> that SQL Server/Sybase don't have scalability issues. Both SQL Server
> and Sybase have row-level locking. What's your perceived issue with
> that?

You are going to great lengths to avoid the dead elephant in the middle of the room. Yes they have row level locking. My mother has row level locking. They also still have lock escallation and page level locking as the number of row level locks is a limiting resource.

> Multiversioning doesn't give you scalability. A well designed
> application gives you scalability. Period.

Mutliversioning isn't about scalability it is about consistency and concurrency.

Daniel Morgna Received on Thu May 09 2002 - 13:29:17 CDT