Re: Urgent Help please !!! - In trouble!

From: Trifon Anguelov <trifona_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 22:40:42 GMT

Reza,

To time for panic. Most probably SMON is working to coalesce the free extents in this tablespace. You can disable that by setting the following event in your init<sid>.ora file: event = "10269 trace name context forever, level 1"

In your case you have to set it up in the session level: alter session set event '10269 trace name contex forever, level 1';

Not sure if it going to take effect after the cleanup already started. ORA-1575 usually signals that Oracle has timed out waiting to aquire the Space
Transaction enqueue lock (ST enqueue) and transaction that receives an ORA-1575 will be rolled back.

If SMON is busy cleaning up a temporary segment containing a lot of extents it cannot service 'sort segment requests' from other sessions. Pointing the users at a PERMANENT tablespace as their temporary tablespace can help keep the system running until SMON is free again. Create another temporary tablespace and switch the users to use that tablespace as their temporary tablespace. Then leave SMON to finish its job.

Hope that helps,

Trifon Anguelov
Senior Oracle DBA
http://www.dbaclick.com