Re: Benchmarks was Re: Which one is better? Oracel 9i or DB2 7.2??

From: Pablo Sanchez <pablo_at_dev.null>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 11:14:47 -0600

"Daniel Morgan" <dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com> wrote in message news:3CD7F1E3.8E2A1352_at_exesolutions.com...
> Pablo Sanchez wrote:
>
> > It doesn't follow because what should dictate a choice in an DBMS
is
> > not speed but how your shop is tooled as well as, IMHO,
market-share
> > (for various reasons). Additionally, you point out that there may
be
> > some features that your site is dependent on. I don't agree with
that
> > because for the most part, all DBMS' are the same. You can get
them
> > to do what you want to do and in the end, it's people who matter.
> >
> > The TPC provide additional data that supports my point: they're
all
> > the same. <g>
> > --
>
> Now you've got my attention. The statement "I don't agree with that
> because for the most part, all DBMS' are the same" just isn't valid.

I suppose I should have been more explicit in that the context I was talking about are those within TPC.

> I have worked with applications in the last five years alone that
required
> the DBMS_SQL package: Other that required Native Dynamic SQL. And
many
> with no dynamic SQL whatsoever. I have worked on apps with 10
simultaneous
> users and with 10,000 simultaneous users.

10,000 simultaneous? Or do you mean to say 10,000 connections with, say 100 simultaneous/concurrent. Anyway, just more of a question than anything ...

> I have worked on a wide variety
> of platforms from the usual (Windows, Solaris, HP/UX) to the unusual
> (Amdahl and Teradata) and with various flavors of RAID. Different
jobs can
> have wholly different requirements.
>
> There is not a chance I am going to find a TCP report of any value
in 90%
> of these projects. To me they are just another form of marketing
hype.

I don't follow how your points above disagree with my assertion that for the most part, all DBMS' are the same.

> But I think it is important to remember that speed is largely
irrelevant
> to any rational database choice. Even if the TCP results were
perfectly
> applicable it only takes one piece of bad code to bring any machine
to its
> knees.

Right, just as I state in the first paragraph.

--
Pablo Sanchez, High-Performance Database Engineering
mailto:pablo_at_hpdbe.com