Re: is INTERNAL a role or a user?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 7 May 2002 23:18:29 +1000

It's neither a user nor a role, nor an object. It's a keyword that requests connection as a privileged user (who is always ultimately SYS).... that is, one who can perform the 5 privileged actions of startup, shutdown, backup, recover or create database.

Internal is strictly an Oracle 7 way of getting such a connection: it was deprecated with the release of 8.0, and has been abolished completely in 9i. The approved equivalent is now:

connect sys/oracle AS SYSDBA

...and that simply means "connect me as User SYS, but with the SYSDBA privilege, which allows me to perform the 5 privileged actions".

Which is exactly what "INTERNAL" meant, but it wasn't quite so obvious.

Regards