Re: Which one is better? Oracel 9i or DB2 7.2??

From: blair kenneth adamache <adamache_at_stopspamca.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 14:32:10 -0400

Is it safe to move to Oracle 9i on a platform which is not certified (see the links below)? Is multiplatform a strength if only a subset of platforms get certified? The links below see to be lacking the market share leader in commercial Unix, AIX.

Mike Ault wrote:

> May I suggest you employ some expert Oracle tuning help and, move to
> 9i as soon as possible.

Is it possible to use without providing employment to an Oracle tuner? The Nomad works for a:

         "...a software company that produces a product that is 100% Java,
     and runs in J2EE application servers. Our product has data and metadata that needs to be stored in an
     RDBMS. My requirement when we started was to support Microsoft SQL Server (7 and 2000), Oracle 8i, and
     DB2 UDB."

Does the Nomad need to employ Oracle tuning help, do his/her Oracle customers need to employ Oracle tuning help, or should we just conclude that both Nomad's software company and his customers will need to employ Oracle tuning help?

> The enhancements in 9i will eliminate some of
> the negatives you have experienced. One ot the strengths of Oracle,
> its ability to be used across multiple platforms, also results in the
> tuning issues you have described. If they only supported one platform
> a database could be pretuned and optimized for that platform.
>
> Mike

Oracle9i Platform Certified Configurations

http://www.oracle.com/ip/std_infrastructure/cc/index.html?9iplatform.html

 Oracle Certified Configurations Availability Matrix http://www.oracle.com/ip/std_infrastructure/cc/index.html?availabilitymatrix.html

Oracle9i Platform Certified - FAQ
http://www.oracle.com/ip/std_infrastructure/cc/index.html?9iraccc_faq.html Received on Mon May 06 2002 - 13:32:10 CDT