Re: memory leak/overuse

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 09:42:53 +1000

Well, a consistent export starting at 10am means 'show me all tables as they were at 10am, even if it now happens to be 10.30'. So Oracle has to produce read-consistent images of the data like crazy (meaning that it copies buffers, and rolls them back to the state they were at at 10am). So data buffers are being copied left right and centre. Rollback blocks are being used left right and centre. The buffer cache is therefore going to be awash with all sorts of buffers that have nothing to do with the current version of the data. You expect consistent=y to mean that you kiss goodbye to large swathes of your buffer cache.

Regards
HJR