Re: LOST DataBase Password

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 09:06:41 +1000

"Sean M" <smckeownNO_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net> wrote in message news:3CD1C38E.41063F35_at_BACKSIESearthlink.net...

> "Howard J. Rogers" wrote:
> >
> > No, you didn't snip anything. My apologies. The rather large paragraph
is
> > indeed included.
>
> OK.
>
> > It made it clear, I thought, I wasn't pleading innocence.
>
> That paragraph made it clear that you weren't pleading *total*
> innocence. But you followed it with another paragraph in which you did
> plead innocence to certain types of heavy-handed put-downs ("But I think
> I have managed to avoid the complete put-down"). I merely pointed out
> that you ought to be careful how far you take that plea given what's
> available in a 2 minute search of Google.

Putdowns for putdowns sake I said I'd thought I'd avoided. I think I have, but having posted for three years, I again make no claim to perfection.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=don%27t+be+bloody+stupid+group:comp.databa ses.oracle.server&hl=en&selm=3a68385b%40news.iprimus.com.au&rnum=1

> > I can't say I didn't just shoot that one-liner
> > and leave it at that, because I might have done. But I doubt it. I
usually
> > make a point of going on to the substantive matter.
>
> You're absolutely correct - you followed the one-liner with substance,
> legitmately trying to help. And that's great, I applaud the effort
> (seriously). As I said, you've done far more good than harm here. If
> you prefer add some "spice" to your helpful posts, so be it, that's your
> right.

Well, that was my point. It was the helpfulness quotient going down that I was commenting on. Remember the line "can't we just try and be helpful or silent?". It's the non-helpful, non-silent approach that seems ever more prevalent. Sometimes (I think) a 'strong' or 'spiced' approach to help is needed to get the point across. But at least something should be being got across rather than just a would-be demonstration of the superiority of the poster.

Regards
HR