Re: newbie Q: installing Oracle on machine without graphic adapter (cygwin)?

From: Igor Laletin <ilaletin_at_usa.net>
Date: 1 May 2002 07:09:23 -0700

frank_ratzlow_at_hotmail.com (Frank Ratzlow) wrote in message news:<5ef29569.0204301704.2e006025_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hi,
>
> afaik the only intention of the x-server is the the purpose of being a
> driver between OS and graphic card.

Errr... between x-client and os?

> The X-client is independent of the
> actual X-server as long as I configure where the Server is running...
> I cannot believe that in the big boxes a graphic card is installed to
> setup the Oracle server.

... and you are right. Sybrand is wrong that the installer won't even start up if there is no graphic card in the server but he's right in everything else:
- read the installation guide
- install x-software on the server, you don't need a graph card to do that

- get any x-server for w2k, free or trial version or consider buying
- start it up on your w2k box
- set and export DISPLAY env variable in the server session
- startup the installer in this session
- have fun.

I didn' use cygwin's x-server so can't comment on this. Why not just give it a try?

Cheers,
Igor