Re: 8.1.7 hangs on inserts

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 23:58:33 +0200

"Kris" <free_heeler226_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:3B8E7FA5.8050507_at_yahoo.com...

> I've got a Java process that inserts records into an table, it runs
> great. However, just before our DBA left for Greece for two weeks he
> exported the database and then imported it to a new instance. When I
> run the exact same process on the new instance it takes between three
> seconds and twenty minutes to insert every 1000 records. When I run the
> process against the original instance it chugs along at a consistent
> 1000 records every ten seconds.
>
> Both instances are on the same machine, I'm the only user on the
> machine, the only thing that's changed in the Java code is the
> sid/username/password.
>
> Since the DBA did an export/import I'm wondering what could be causing
> this problem and where is the best place to start looking for
> differences in the two instances.
>
> Thanks,
> Kris

I would start checking the size of the online redolog files (select * from v$log)
and the frequency of checkpoints occurring select * from v$log_history.

I guess he didn't change them from default, and the defaults are in most situations too small.
You can also check in the alert log
(alert<sid>.log located in the background_dump_dest directory (show parameter background_dump_dest will tell you where that is) whether you have
'checkpoint not complete messages'
If you have those you need to chance the redolog configuration by alter database drop logfile group <n> followed by alter database add logfile group <n> ('filename1...','filename2...') size (minimum 5M, the default is 500k)

Hth,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Aug 30 2001 - 16:58:33 CDT