Re: moving a database from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7

From: Christoph Kukulies <kuku_at_gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Date: 30 Aug 2001 14:47:56 GMT

Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com> wrote:
: On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl wrote:

:>> I have a database under 8.0.5 and would like to move it most
:>> elegantly to 8.1.7. Do I have to use EXP80 or is there another
:>> way, e.g. to copy the database files over to the 8.1.7 server?
:>>
:>> --
:>> Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de
:>
:> Assuming no cross-platform operation is involved, bringing an
:> 8.0 instance to 8i only requires upgrading the datadictionary.
:> The Oracle Migration Assistant will take care of that.  Don't
:> forget to bump your compatible parameter after migration,
:> Oracle tools usually leave it unaffected.

: Sybrand,

: I do believe he has two different machines, one with 8.0 and one
: with 8.1.7 and he wants to know if something other than export
: can be used to accomplish migrating his data over, unless the
: migration assistant does this as well.

: Chris,

: I think I would use exp/imp for this, but you might have really
: large datasets which would involve loads of time for writing to
: the OS's. Maybe your exp can write to a pipe on the 8.0 OS which
: is read by another pipe on the 8.1.7 OS (the two pipes connected
: by a dd process) and the second pipe is subsequently read by an
: imp on the 8.1.7 server? (This is assuming a UNIX OS for both
: sides) This, then, allows for your process to never actually

Sigh.
The elegance of Unix. I forgot to mention that I'm NT-impaired in this case :-(

: write anything to the OS which could save you a reasonable amount
: of time. The way to accomplish this is to start everything in
: reverse order. Start the imp on the 8.1.7 server, then the dd
: between the pipes then the exp on the 8.0 server. Once the exp
: starts the imp will start.

OK. EXP80 . I'll dig into it.

: --
: Galen Boyer
: It seems to me, I remember every single thing I know.

--
Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de