Re: moving a database from 8.0.5 to 8.1.7

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 16:04:49 +0200

"Christoph Kukulies" <kuku_at_gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in message news:9mld66$sms$1_at_nets3.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE...
> Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl> wrote:
>
> : "Christoph Kukulies" <kuku_at_gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de> wrote in message
> : news:9mkrjm$9qi$1_at_nets3.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE...
> :> I have a database under 8.0.5 and would like to move it most elegantly
> :> to 8.1.7. Do I have to use EXP80 or is there another way, e.g. to copy
> :> the database files over to the 8.1.7 server?
> :>
> :> --
> :> Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de
>
> : Assuming no cross-platform operation is involved, bringing an 8.0
instance

> Well, it's on a different machine, same platform. It's not an upgrade
> on the same machine.
>
> : to 8i only requires upgrading the datadictionary.
> : The Oracle Migration Assistant will take care of that.
> : Don't forget to bump your compatible parameter after migration, Oracle
tools

> What do you mean by that?
>
> : usually leave it unaffected.
>
> : Hth,
>
> : Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>
> Thanks.
>

> --
> Chris Christoph P. U. Kukulies kuku_at_gil.physik.rwth-aachen.de

1 As it is on a different machine, the usual 'clone' procedure applies on the source system issue
alter database backup controlfile to trace find the trace file
edit it when necessary (to change file locations) copy the db-files over, copy the trace file over. Run the tracefile through sql*plus.
Apart from using the migration wizard, usually the installation notes describe which dictionary scripts to run.

2
Assume your compatible parameter is 8.0.5.0 The migration wizard will usually not change it for you. Doing so, you can't use any of the 8i features. It has to be 8.1.5.0.0 minimum.
The compatible parameter is|should be in init<sid>.ora

Hope it is clear now.

Regards,

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA Received on Thu Aug 30 2001 - 09:04:49 CDT