Re: Password for Starting Oracle

From: Dusan Bolek <pagesflames_at_usa.net>
Date: 29 Aug 2001 02:47:12 -0700

"Katja Werner" <katja.werner_at_sap.com> wrote in message news:<9mffod$na5$1_at_news1.wdf.sap-ag.de>...
> try
> internal/oracle or
> sys/change_on_install
>
> other "standard" logins/passwords from oracle are:
> system/manager
> scot/tiger

Hm, it's great that you know so many standard logins/passwords in Oracle, but subject is "Password for Starting Oracle" and none of account supplied by you can start an Oracle instance. :-) With exception of internal/oracle, but that's not a standard login. And IIRC sys in WIN32s has not a "change_on_install" password, but "change_on_install_xxxx", where xxxx is some stupid number taken from WIN registry, part of licence key or something similar. That's the problem with all SAP employees, ask you a question and you'll give absolute correct answer to completely different issue. :-) Startup password in NT environment is that one, which must be supplied during installation. However I never used Personal Oracle, so I do not know if PO has different system than ordinary Oracle Server. Another way is to use a OS authentification, but that's not possible on WIN98, because WIN98 has no support for user/groups. My opinion is that during installation of PO is some prompt for password to start an instance.
However maybe the best hint for Mr. Hu, is: Read manual for Personal Oracle !

Dusan Bolek, Ing.
Oracle team leader