A database on raw devices. How to get back to file system based?

From: Galen Boyer <galenboyer_at_hotpop.com>
Date: 27 Aug 2001 20:41:19 -0500

I have been given the reigns of an installed database instance, 8i on Sun. The data doesn't matter, there was none to speak of. The company's project hasn't even started. All I want to do is keep the Oracle executables around so that I can create a new database and start over.

My issue is that the existing database installation was on raw devices and I'm not sure what I need to do to "give" the disk back to UNIX. Does Oracle need to release anything ..., or can I shutdown the instance and then have the sysadmin just reconfigure the disk drives to be file based. Then, go about my business of creating a new database?

I'm worried that the executables might get munged in this process and I'm worried about whatever else this group might deem that I should worry about :-)

I'm guessing it is as easy as having the sysadmin just reinitialize the disks and then my just recreating a new database, and not having to worry at all, but raw isn't something that I have ever worked with.

--
Galen Boyer
It seems to me, I remember every single thing I know.